Monday, November 23, 2009

You think you've been everywhere

I always thought it would be fun to sing along with "I've Been Everywhere," the song Hank Snow took to No. 1 way back in 1962 and Johnny Cash had plenty of fun with (you've probably heard it on the oft-played TV commercial). Ever try to sink your teeth into these lyrics?

I was totin' my pack along a dusty Winnemucca road
When along came a semi with a high canvas covered load
'If you're going to Winnemucca, Mac with me you can ride'
So I climbed into the cab and then I settled down inside
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand
And I said, [break] 'Listen, Bud I've traveled every road in this here
land'...

I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere, man
'Cross the deserts bare, man, I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel, I've had my share, man, I've been everywhere

I been to Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow,
Sarasota
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo, Tocopilla, Barranquilla, and
Padilla, I'm a killer

Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana, Washington, Houston, Kingston,
Texarkana
Monterey, Ferraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa, Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little
Rock, Oskaloosa
Tennessee, Hennessey, Chicopee, Spirit Lake, Grand Lake, Devil Lake,
Crater Lake, for Pete's sake; (to Chorus)

Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika, Shefferville, Jacksonville,
Waterville, Costa Rica
Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport, Hackensack, Cadillac,
Fond Du Lac, Davenport
Idaho, Jellicoe, Pickle Cros, Argentina, Diamontina, Pasadena, Catalina,
see what I mean, (to next verse)

Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravellburg, Colorado, Ellensburg, Rexburg,
Vicksburg, Eldorado
Larrimore, Atmore, Haverstraw, Chattanika, Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska,
Opelika
Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge
City, what a pity


No, I can't do this. What a pity. But I have been through Opelika. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the words on "paper" but was at the other end of an effort to rewrite this song's lyrics using only Wisconsin towns, cities, etc. My wife, teaching 4th grade in Green Bay was expecting a visit by Jessica Doyle (First Lady of Wis.) and decided there needed to be more than just the friendly chatter in the gym. Taking a cue from Doyle's game, "Where in Wisconsin is Jessica Doyle?," my wife set about the task using "Everywhere's" tune to come up with a program that the kids would sing. It actually turned out to be fun pouring over maps for a bend in the road that rhymes with Hixton. It was also frustrating because it consumed us. Doyle liked the song and several weeks after the visit, called the school asking for a copy of the lyrics. Who knows, maybe I'm living with a wanna be lyricist. Better get out my guitar and find a tune to "borrow." Maybe the Elusive Butterfly...or Iron Butterfly's Innagodda...you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete