Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Meet that XCleaver

Tom Tiedjens stopped by Tuesday after work with a busted 12-pack of Miller High Life and two CDs. I think I found a new friend.

Tom T. isn't completely new to my new world. I became familiar with his music back in the Eighties when he was fronting the Milwaukee punk band Those XCleavers. But I had never met the guy, who was "Just Tryin' to Have Fun'' with raucous club-dancing rants like "U Try 2 Hard'', "Nice Legs, Shame About the Face'' and "Smooth, Wild & Dirty.''

Not until a week ago did I meet the wily Norwegian when he and a buddy showed up to help me move into my new upper flat in Wauwatosa. A few beers were hoisted at the time, but it seemed a bit too much like work.

Yesterday was better, but we still had to drink and talk too fast. He had to pick up his girl from dance class. Life has changed for the old punk rocker, who still gets down on the bass guitar but has no regular outlet for his music. Marriage, a growing child and a full-time job can alter anyone's perspective on life, not to mention their musical direction. There's talk of getting the boys together next spring, and let's hope it happens.

Meanwhile, Tom T. has taken the time to put together a "Retrospective'' CD, including the very first song he wrote in his parents' basement too many years ago, "4 Chord Shit.''

For a taste of Those XCleavers, who call their music a blend of "post punk, new wave and ska,'' click here. Looks like they still have a pretty strong pack following.

I'd never steer you wrong. This is good shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment