Friday, November 6, 2009

A souvenir from the Fifties

See the pyramids along the Nile
Watch the sunrise from a tropic isle
Just remember darling all the while
You belong to me


One of the greatest songs ever recorded reached No. 1 at this time in 1952. At least "You Belong to Me" is one of my favorites. I even suggested it be played at a niece's wedding, but it seems the kids never heard of it. Not even Patsy Cline's cover, much less the Sue Thompson original.

See the market place in old Algiers
Send me photographs and souvenirs
Just remember when a dream appears
You belong to me


Cline had a fabulous version, and Patti Page covered it as well, but I don't think either topped Jo Stafford's classic, which became the first song by a female vocalist to go No. 1 in the UK. Dean Martin also recorded it in 1952, and that record made it No. 12. Obviously songwriters Pee Wee King, Redd Stewart and Chilton Price had a winner on their hands.

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
See the jungle when it's wet with rain
Just remember till you're home again
You belong to me


Taylor Swift had the audacity to write her own song with that title. I haven't heard it, but I suppose that's more likely to be played at a wedding these days than anything from the tired old Fifties, from which I can't seem to escape.

My luck.

1 comment:

  1. You might be romancing your past there a little bit. It was a time when you could listen to a song, close your eyes, and actually believe a dream might come true. A beautiful song, a beautiful era. Hard to duplicate these days.

    ReplyDelete