Sunday, August 30, 2009

Last voyage of the Good Ship Dr. J

What songs would you have picked to close out a memorable 20-plus year run as host of WMNF's Sixties Show?

After a short clip of Quicksilver Messenger Service's "Happy Trails'', the beloved Dr. J played Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man'', calling it his favorite song of the decade. To amplify the point he added this quote from Rodney Crowell:

"Back in the day many of us got stoned and went home and wrote music, but only Bob Dylan wrote 'Mr. Tambourine Man'.''

Take me on a trip upon your magic swirling ship
My senses have been stripped
My hands can’t feel to grip
My toes too numb to step
Wait only for my bootheels to be wandering
I’m ready to go anywhere, I’m ready for to fade
Into my own parade
Cast your dancing spell my way, I promise to go under it

What a fine choice that was.

And then, to give his emotional farewell one final hit of stoner appeal, Dr. J closed with the Grateful Dead's "Ripple.''

"Well brothers and sisters the time has come ... this is Dr. J signing off. Keep peace in your heart, love in your mind, and happy trails until we meet again. Goodbye.''

He finally sounded prepared, like in the Dylan song, to fade into his own parade.

Follow this link to hear the show and see Dr. J's final playlist. And don't forget to drop something in the tip jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment