Saturday, August 22, 2009

It's Tarantino time again

Has anybody seen the new Quentin Tarantino flick?

I may attempt to psyche myself up for some Nazi scalping, clubbing and mayhem so I can try make it through "Inglourious Basterds'' this weekend.

If you can get beyond the violence in Tarantino's films -- and that's not easy -- there's usually something redeeming to take away from the theater. For me it's almost always the music. No current filmmaker matches a song to a scene better than Tarantino.

In "Reservoir Dogs'' could there have been a better selection for the torture scene than "Stuck in the Middle With You'' by Stealer's Wheel? I can't imagine Michael Madsen dancing around with his ear-paring razor to any other song.

QT scores with three of my favorite movie soundtracks. (Don't look for musicals here; I think they deserve a separate category. If I included them "The Wizard of Oz'' would be No. 1.) If not for the rockumentaries "Stop Making Sense'' and "The Last Waltz'', he'd have two of my top three.

1. Stop Making Sense (1984), Talking Heads
2. The Last Waltz (1978), the Band
3. Reservoir Dogs (1992), various artists
4. The Graduate (1968), Simon & Garfunkel
5. Pulp Fiction (1994), various artists
6. Easy Rider (1969), various artists
7. The Big Chill (1983), verious artists
7. Shaft (1971), Isaac Hayes
8. Jackie Brown (1997), various artists
9. American Graffiti (1973), various artists

You might have other ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment