Friday, September 24, 2010

Superman or Green Lantern had nothing on him

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.  Donovan was hip. Some of us didn't know it until the summer of 1966 when out of the blue "Sunshine Superman" arrived to save the day.  The dude should have been wearing a paisley cape.

This was a summer of surprises as James and the Shondells broke through with "Hanky Panky," the Troggs scored with "Wild Thing" and Question Mark and the Mysterians gave us an early taste of punk with "96 Tears."  Before the leaves had dropped Count Five dropped "Psychotic Reaction" into the mix.  The airwaves were alive with new sounds and grooves no one had heard before.

And Donovan was front and center -- and a full year ahead of the Summer of Love and the age of  psychedelia -- with "Sunshine Superman." 

Everybody's hustlin' just to have a little scene
When I say we'll be cool I think that you know what I mean
We stood on the beach at sunset, do you remember when?
I know a beach where baby a-it never ends
When you've made your mind up, forever to be mine

What a fine trip it was. We didn't discover a beach that grand until years later. What we'd give to be back there now, where it never ends.

1 comment:

  1. My favs by him were.. Season of the Witch and Mellow Yellow. Mellow Yellow I understand had Paul McCartney on this cut playing bass, and that he adds his voice to the instumental break....Is that true?
    I used to have a himilayan cat named Jazz, and he was always so mellow...I would hang him upside down by his rear legs rockin him back and forth, and he was just lovin it..... while I would sing Mellow Yellow...Damn I miss him, he was a really cool cat.

    ReplyDelete