Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What was he thinking?

This comes from Psycho, our senior Twin Cities vibemeister and tune advocate. You need to prepare yourself for this video. It may not be suitable for some. I personally find it deeply troubling.

It has nothing to do with football, but I compare it to the Packers' stunning overtime playoff loss Sunday to Arizona. After that game I found myself dumbstruck and unable to move for several minutes. The aftershock continues to cause me problems. I'm stuttering and I can't seem to focus either visually or mentally. I'm drooling on my keyboard right now.

Friends have offered encouragement, assuring me I will recover in two to three months. But any chances I had of mending from the football ordeal have been thwarted by this shocking video. It will leave you speechless.



That's Johnny Horton, a tragic story in pop music lore with bizarre connections to Hank Williams. Horton was killed in a head-on car collision in November 1960, the year after "The Battle of New Orleans" spent six weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard chart. The last club Horton played was the Skyline in Austin, Texas -- the very same club Williams played before his death. And Horton's widow, Billie Jean, was the former Mrs. Williams.

But enough background. This creepy video threatens to spoil the legacy of Horton, by all accounts a good and honorable man, and a close friend of Johnny Cash. It must be destroyed.

2 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate that this is Johnny Horton's best-known song. He also recorded some classic country stuff such as "Honky Tonk Man," and his guitar player was the legendary Hank Garland.

    I believe he also had a record about President JFK, "The PT-109."

    But at any rate this is a spectacular video.

    The football game was exhilarating, then devastating. I was rooting hard for a Green Bay - Minnesota rematch in the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is one good thing about this video -- a Gator gets his head blowed up.

    ReplyDelete