Saturday, January 23, 2010

I strum, therefore I am (Vol. 2)

We're always big on anniversaries at Six String Sanctuary, and what could be bigger than this:

Today SSS celebrates its first anniversary. Thank you, thank you very much. We were thinking about a parade or at least a birthday cake, but it'll probably be draft beer followed by a few glasses of wine. Why break up a winning routine?

Yes, friends, SSS was launched a year ago with a two-sentence blog that asked simply: "Are you ready to discuss music? I hope so, because it wouldn't be much fun by my lonesome." There were no comments. Of course, nobody knew who we were and what we were trying to accomplish.

Three hundred and twenty-nine blogs later we're still trying to figure stuff out. The audience -- you -- is still small but steadily building. We are now viewed on computer screens from coast to coast, and in foreign lands as far away as Abu Dhabi (Robert, thanks for moving to Abu Dhabi. Talk about taking one for the team.)

Often we are being encouraged to spread the reach of SSS through social networking, which could spike our page views and readership and maybe even attract some advertisers. Screw that. We've got you, we don't need them. I'm reminded of my favorite Twin Cities columnist, who happened at the time to be the only major sports columnist in town without a local radio show. He was often told that a radio show would increase his popularity and readership; he was even offered a show. His response:

You want to know what I have to say, put a quarter in the rack.

I like that attitude. And my gift to you for coming back here day after day to see what's cooking: Keep your quarter in your pocket. I don't need it, don't want it, won't take it. This is guilt free, commercial free blogging with an audience I know, enjoy, and respect.

Coming tomorrow: Can a song doom a football team? Disemboweling Prince's "Purple and Gold."

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first year!! Regrettably, I haven't been here from day one but have since I learned about the blog. You do a good job Mr. Strumbum even though I often have other views. The point is you are tossing out your unabashed thoughts and opinions for cross-examination by those who show up. I find it refreshing, informative and confirming (and sometimes I think you've missed the boat). I like your style. So I raise my glass (NOT Miller Lite) to another successful year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Year 1, SSS. I can only hope I get a cake as cool as yours for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Herr Schtrumbum.
    I look forwward to your next bloglette, and eagerly await your literary disembowelment of Prince ('s Viking's tribute song...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!
    What a year it has been ...
    I think I speak for all of your readers who are far from home, when I say thanks for keeping us connected.
    There's nothing like a good Jimmy Buffett debate to help a guy remember where he came from.
    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete