Monday, April 6, 2009

Play ball!

Major League Baseball is back, a perfect time to tip your cap to Jack Norworth for writing the lyrics to one of the grandest songs ever. "Take Me Out to the Ballgame'' has been a hit with fans since it was introduced in 1908.

In explaining why he began the tradition of singing it during the seventh-inning stretch at Cubs games, announcer Harry Caray said: "I think it was the only song I knew the words to!"

You don't need a better excuse than that. (But I swear I heard Harry botch the lyrics many times.)

It's also a snap to play on the guitar. Here are the chords for the six-stringers among you:

G//////////////// D ////
Take me out to the ball game
G ///////////////////D ////
Take me out with the crowd
E ///////////////////////Am ////
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack
A7 ////////////D7 ////
I don't care if I ever get back
////////G //////////////////D ////
Well it's root, root, root for the home team
///G/////// G7 //////C /Am
If they don't win it's a shame
///////C A7 G///////////// E
For it's 1, 2, 3 strikes - you're out
//////A7 D7 G ////
at the old ball game

1 comment: