Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Monkey fighting snakes?

We were watching "Snakes on a Plane'' on TV, and don't ask me why. I guess there were no first-round NBA games being televised (ha ha!). And we had heard the movie was awful and we just had to see for ourselves.

It was worse than that. And better.

Let me explain. An old colleague used to tell me there is no such thing as a bad movie. He maintained that every movie, no matter how wretched, has some redeeming qualities. I always remember that when I'm laughing hysterically at a film that's supposed to be scary or serious. "Snakes'' is so unintentionally funny it's impossible to believe it was supposed to terrify audiences.

In addition to the ridiculously contrived plot and some god-awful acting, TV viewers get the added bonus of one of the most spectacular vocal overdubs in film history. In fact, it proves to be that most ''redeeming quality'' my friend used to tell me about. Watch for yourself:

http://videoeta.com/news/2740

If you saw the film in a theatre (sorry about that) or on DVD, you know what Samuel Jackson was really spouting. Apparently the movie was filled with objectionable language, but nobody uses the F-bomb more effectively than that bad-ass. So when he rips one off, you definitely want to hear it.

But monkey fighting snakes? On a Monday to Friday plane? Are you f-ing kidding me? What mother f-ing editor changed the mother f-ing words to that?

We were just wondering.

1 comment:

  1. ok speaking of snakes you have to read the article in the New Yorker about the pythons and monitor lizards in Fla.

    ReplyDelete