Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thirty days hath September

Oh, it's a long, long while from May to December
But the days grow short when you reach September
When the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame
One hasn't got time for the waiting game

What's your favorite version of "September Song''? It's a sweet way to introduce our ninth month of the year, and there is no shortage of artists from which to choose. Everybody from Jimmy Durante to James Brown has covered the Kurt Weill standard. Even Lou Reed, though I haven't heard that version.

As much as I enjoy the trumpet of Chet Baker, I'm noodling between Willie Nelson and Frank Sinatra on this. Sinatra is Sinatra -- he won't disappoint. Meanwhile, Willie's turn helped make his splendid "Stardust'' album one of the gems of 1978 (though my favorite song is "Moonlight in Vermont'').

Oh, the days dwindle down to a precious few
September, November ...
And these few precious days I'll spend with you
These precious days I'll s pend with you

The important thing is we made to September. Baseball's pennant races are heating up, football's about to kick off, and the weather will soon begin to turn. There's bound to be a chili cook-off in your neighborhood before long.

September is a beautiful month, no matter where you are. I can't believe we only give it 30 days each year to prove itself.

1 comment: