Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hank Williams lived here for a spell

 GEORGIANA, Ala. --Nothin' ever happened 'round my hometown
And I ain't the kind to just hang around
But I heard someone callin' my name one day
And I followed that voice down the lost highway

Earlier today I found myself on the Lost Highway, a designated 50-mile stretch of I-65 that cuts through the pine country of central Alabama. Hank Williams grew up in Georgiana, and signs pointed me to his childhood home at 127 Rose Street. The white woodframe house, just a block from the railroad tracks, now serves as a modest museum to the father of contemporary country music.

They sell T-shirts, caps, books, magnets, photos -- even copies of Hank's death certificate. They also sell belt buckles, but someone had obsconded with the last three earlier in the day. I've never purchased a belt buckle before, but now I wanted one in the worst way.

Hank's mother bought him his first guitar for $3.50 when he was 8 years old, and Rufus "Tee-Tot'' Payne, a local street musician, taught him how to play it. A few years later the family moved to Greenville, and then later to Montgomery.

If you ever find yourself going down the Lost Highway it would be worth taking a detour to Hank's old home. A good spirit resides there today.

No comments:

Post a Comment