Friday, September 11, 2009

Just an American songwriter

The events of 9/11 were barely a year behind us when Steve Earle released "Jerusalem'', unleashing a torrent of negative publicity.

I don't make a big deal about it, but I'm as patriotic as my next-door neighbor. And I admit flinching upon hearing the controversial ballad "John Walker's Blues'' for the first time. I remember a friend at work saying "Your boy really stepped in it this time.'' Maybe. But I wasn't naive enough to believe that Earle had written a song in support of Walker and the Taliban.

Many people, including critics who review music, thought otherwise. And the lyrics to the song, with its eerie Eastern sound and mullah chants, seemed to support their conclusion.

I'm just an American boy raised on MTV
And I've seen all those kids in the soda pop ads
But none of 'em looked like me
So I started lookin' around for a light out of the dim
And the first thing I heard that made sense was the word
Of Mohammed, peace be upon him


The Arabic prayer in the chorus sounded downright spooky:

A shadu la ilaha illa Allah
There is no God but God


It certainly was a different point of view, which is what we come to expect from our best songwriters. But the timing might have been too close to the deep wounds opened on 9/11. We were still looking to round up all the evil-doers, and it was jolting to hear early news reports about an American kid taking up with the Taliban.

It turned out John Walker, while a troubled and conflicted young man, wasn't quite the jihadist he was made out to be. Nine of the most serious charges against him were dropped.

Nor did Earle's song deserve the wrath it received, including this New York Post headline: "Twisted Ballad Honors Tali-Rat"

David Carithers, a professor at the University of Tennessee at Martin, offers a fascinating view of the songwriter in his paper ''Steve Earle and the Possibilities of Pragmatism.'' It originally appeared in the Fall 2005 issue of Americana: The Journal of American Popular Culture, but you can read it by clicking here.

Earle once called himself a Marxist, which didn't win him many fans. Pragmatist fits him much better. Whatever label you choose, ''un-American'' shouldn't be one of them.

As Earle explained at the time: "I'm not trying to get myself deported or something. In a big way this is the most pro-American record I've ever made. I feel urgently American."

Don't we all?

3 comments:

  1. I was sitting in a bar in Little Rock a while back, and two stools down was Justin Townes Earle. He had just finished his set opening for Jason Isbell. Some "fan" who had way too much to drink sits down beside Justin and starts peppering him with questions about Steve. This exchange followed:

    Drunk guy: What's it like to be Steve Earle's son?
    JTE: I don't know; you tell me. I grew up with my mom and was slinging drugs in Nashville when I was 12. I love my dad, but he's just white trash from Texas.

    Justin resumed eating his chicken sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One the subject of Steve and JTE, the younger Earle has a great song on his latest record, "Midnight at the Movies."

    My Mama's Eyes

    I am my father's son
    I've never known when to shut up
    I ain't fooling no one
    I am my father's son
    we don't see eye to eye
    and ill be the first to admit Ive never tried
    it sure hurts me, it should hurt sometime
    we don't see eye to eye
    I was a young man when
    I went down the same road as my old man
    I was younger then
    now its three am and Im standing in the kitchen
    holding my last cigarrette
    strike a match and I see my reflection in the mirror in the hall
    and i say to myself
    I've got my mama's eyes
    her long thin frame and her smile
    and i still see wrong from right
    cuz I've got my mama's eyes
    yea I've got my mama's eyes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jim, thanks for the shout-out about my article on Steve Earle. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for posting! --D. Carithers

    ReplyDelete