Wednesday, December 9, 2009

If a tree falls in the forest...

We've nearly blown through the first decade of the 21st century. How amazing is that?

Now it's time for somebody to take a fall. That's right. For every Best of the Decade list there will have to be a Worst of the Decade list. Or some such nonsense. Billboard is already out with its One-Hit Wonder of the Decade, which I suppose falls somewhere in the middle. Presumably you have to do something wonderful to contend, but the notoriety of not repeating your success -- and having it pointed out -- takes the shine off the accomplishment.

My question today: If you've never heard the song, can it qualify for anything, either honorable or dubious? I say no. So Daniel Powter -- sorry dude, never heard of you or your song -- will not be taking a powder in this blog.

Powter's "Bad Day" was a No. 1 pop song for FIVE WEEKS in 2006. That means a lot of people must have been listening to it. Not me. No, I've never been able to say "Damn, I wish I could get that song out of my head!!!"

But whatever Powter did after "Bad Day," it couldn't have been much, at least in the eyes and ears of the listening public. To be fair, it's only been three years. Many artists go longer stretches than that between hits. Couldn't they have found something from earlier in the decade on which to bestow the title?

Here's the rest of the One-Hit Wonder Top 5, and I have to admit I couldn't tell you the band names (left) from the song titles.

Terror Squad, Lean Back
Crazy Town, Butterfly
MIMS, This Is Why I'm Hot
D4L,Laffy Taffy


I hope none of the artists are hang-dog about this because they've got nothing to be ashamed of. To paraphrase Tennyson, 'tis better to have had a hit song...

1 comment:

  1. If you never heard "Bad Day" you have led a charmed life.

    ReplyDelete