Monday, December 7, 2009

A dispatch from Pearl Harbor

My son Zach arrived in Pearl Harbor one week ago today for his tour of duty. What timing, for several reasons, but none more important than this: Today is the 68th anniversary of "a day that will live in infamy."

While waiting for the U.S.S. O'Kane to arrive from sea duty, Zach has had a bit of time to become acquainted with Pearl and get a taste of Hawaii. I thought I'd share his latest email. It's really incredible to think about him being there.

Hey there Dad,

Sorry it took so long, internet problems at the other liberty center prevented me from getting back to you earlier. I'm on the sub side right now with all the "bubbleheads" as they are called.

I've only been here less than a week, but I'd like to think I'm starting to get to know my way around here. Although it would be nice to have a vehicle to get around, The galley is about a mile away so I'm stuck eating hot pockets in my room most days, but there's a McDonalds and a Popeyes close by, Subway and Burger King around the corner a little further down, and there's a Pizza Hut and Taco Bell in Club Pearl.

I'm in TPU right now which is Transiet Personnel Unit. It's for those awaiting ships or that are on hold or limited duty for whatever reason. I'm in the TPU barracks which aren't too bad but a little cramped and lack air conditioning. My new roommate's got a Martin so needless to say we get along just fine. It's a short walk down to the pier where all the cruisers and destroyers are in port. It's quite the view from right behind the Exchange mini-mart. Unfortunately no photography is allowed down there by the gates. But I assure you it's quite moving.

While in TPU we have been setting up for the anniversary ceremony for the 7th. It will be held over by Kilo peir 9, which is prettty close to the USS Arizona Memorial. I haven't officially visited it yet but I hope to soon. While working over there I've been able to catch views of subs and some other ships coming into port. It's pretty cool but keep in mind I'm taking all this in while scraping bird shit off the pier.

The bar at Club Pearl seems to be empty most of the time, but for just over two dollars you can get a pint, not too bad considering. I'm guessing most people spend the weekends off base. Just yesturday me and my roomate set off to explore the area. We hopped on a bus bound for Waikiki, unfortunately we never made it there. We decided to get off near Ala Moana just past China Town...I didn't realize places like that actually existed! We proceeded to walk around for what seemed like miles trying to find a place to eat or a way to get to Waikiki which turns out was still a ways away.

Shortly thereafter we discovered a beach, not the beach but a beach. So we parked our hides in the sand and just kind of enjoyed the view. The water was colder than the Gulf by far and the sand not near as soft, but it sure beats the weather back home. Out of curiosity alone we decided to hit up the mall across the way. Totally different than any other mall I've been to. It's practically all outside!! It's mostly all open to the sky and the elements and I'll be quite honest I got lost a few times. I failed to purchase anything but I'm sure I'll be back, after all Christmas is right around the corner.

We opted for a cab on the ride home. Well worth the 30 dollar fare, we got home quick without any problems. I threw a dvd in my computer and passed out in no time. I awoke to another day in paradise. Pretty damn hot, but pretty damn beautiful.

Still hard to believe I'm actually in Hawaii and so far away from home, I'm sure it will set in eventually. I just can't wait till my ship gets in so I can get started on what I came here to do.

Well that's it so far, I'm sure there will be plenty more to tell once I get to know my way around.

Talk to you soon, Luv ya!

Zachman

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jim - my Google alert brought your blog to my attention. Our daughter is a LtJG on the O'Kane - currently in their last port call of TAHITI. Originally from Milwaukee, now north central WI. She's a good ship, with a good crew. If you're interested in following her within a forum, go to NavyforMoms.com and search for the USS O'Kane forum. It actually was started by a Navy Dad, so you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks like a young man I used to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Zachman may have a blogging career ahead of him, if this whole Navy thing doesn't work out.
    The cheese curd doesn't fall far from the tree, does it?

    ReplyDelete