Sunday, December 13, 2009

A as in Alvin, as in annoying

Are you in the Christmas spirit yet? This could make or break it for you ...

As I write, more than 5,000 people have responded to a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel online poll querying readers on the most annoying Christmas novelty song.

There's something terribly wrong with this. Not with the poll, but with the people who are voting. Have I landed in a city of rubes? It's a little unnerving to think I'm sharing roadways, bar stools and lunch counters with people who, at this moment, believe that Elmo and Patsy's "Grandpa Got Run Over by a Reindeer" is the most annoying Christmas novelty song ever.

I've got a hula hoop here that says it isn't.

How could Alvin and the Chipmunks' "The Christmas Song" not win the competition hands down? As my sister said: "I didn't even like that song when I was a kid."

Another gripe: What's "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" doing on that list, and how could 8 percent of the respondents denegrate Jimmy's Boyd's memory by voting for it? Here are the current tallies:

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, Jimmy Boyd (8%)
Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, Elmo and Patsy (32%)
Nuttin' for Christmas, Barry Gordon (6%)
All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth, Spike Jones (12%)
Dominick, The Italian Christmas Donkey, Lou Monte (13%)
The Christmas Song, Alvin and the Chipmunks (28%)

Click here and help me fix this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment