There he was, just a runnin' down the track...
The greyhound Do Wah Diddy won the sixth race at Derby Lane in St. Pete last night, paying $17 to win. Nice work, puppy!
And speaking of longshots by that name, I can't help but recall in wonderment the deep imprint Manfred Mann made on pop music back in the spectacular Sixties. Here was the Billboard Top 5 in October 1964, a very good time to be a teenager -- in love, or just lapping up the music of the day:
1. Da Wah Diddy Diddy, Manfred Mann
2. Dancing in the Street, Martha & the Vandellas
3. Oh, Pretty Woman, Roy Orbison
4. We'll Sing in the Sunshine, Gale Garnett
5. Last Kiss, J. Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers
Did you know that Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, who wrote "Do Wah Diddy Diddy'', also are responsible for the Crystals' 1963 classic "Da Doo Ron Ron''?
It's something to think about when you're writing that next song. Meanwhile, here's a memorable look back at Manfred Mann and the song that catapulted the group to fame.