Saturday, November 20, 2010

Remembering a Brother

"I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it -- seek knowledge from those wiser -- and teach those who wish to learn from me."

So reads the stone epitath at Duane Allman's gravesite in Macon, Georgia.  Skydog would have been 64 today.  He was our favorite blues guitarist, bar none, and his music catalog is as impressive as they come for someone who died before his 25th birthday. 

Play some Allman Brothers today, preferably Live at the Fillmore East, nothing later than Eat Peach, which was released the year after Duane's death in a motorcycle accident and was "Dedicated to a Brother."  The last three songs on Eat a Peach  -- "Stand Back," "Blue Sky" and "Little Martha" -- were cut by the full band.

Eat a peach, if you can find one.  The expression is taken from a quote attributed to Duane when asked how he was going to help the revolution.  "I'm hitting a lick for peace -- and every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace," he said.

Read Randy Poe's excellent biography Skydog: The Duane Allman Story.

Discover some of his memorable session work with artists like Otis Rush, Aretha Franklin, King Curtis, John Hammond, Clarence Carter and Delaney & Bonnie. You can hear many of them on Duane Allman: an anthology.

Pick up a guitar and learn to play "Melissa."

Remember Skydog.

 



2 comments:

  1. I was introduced to their music by Rob, my husband, who loves to listen to them. I'll make sure he reads this! Thanks Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Layla" was pretty good too but I really do love to hear him playing on those Aretha and Clarence Carter records.

    I was lucky enough to see the ABB with Duane six times that I can remember. Last time was almost exactly 40 years ago in the USF gym. About a week ago I took my daughter to see them. Derek is holding down the fort but it's not the same - mainly because I'm 40 years older.

    ReplyDelete