Monday, October 12, 2009

The Nina, the Pinta and Lowell George

Columbus Day is a perfect time to salute one of the finest rock 'n' roll live albums of all time. Of course we're talking up Little Feat's sublime "Waiting for Columbus.''

Few were better at laying down boogie concert grooves than Lowell George, slide guitar meister and bluesy rhythm funkateer. "Waiting for Columbus'' showcased the band's jamming prowess and provided memorable romps through "Dixie Chicken'', "Fat Man in the Bathtub'' and the incomparable "Chillin'.''

I've never been a fan of "live'' albums. The energy from concert venues rarely translates, and many concert performances frankly aren't as good as studio cuts. "Waiting for Columbus'' is a notable exception, and there are others. I might as well rank them now to start an argument:

1. Allman Brothers, Fillmore East
2. Johnny Cash, Folsom Prison
3. Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus
4. Rolling Stones, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
5. The Who, Live at Leeds

Exquisite exclusions: The Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense'' and the Band's "The Last Waltz'' were left off because I'm always touting them as the best rockumentaries ever and you're probably tired of hearing it. They are incredible concerts, but watch the DVDs and take advantage of film footage. Same goes for Roy Orbison's "Black and White Night.''

I'm told James Brown's "Live at the Apollo'' deserves to be at or near the top, but I've never heard it. If I were pressed to add another album based on my personal listening experience (what a concept!!!) it would be Cheap Trick's "Live at Budokan.'' I don't know how to defend that, other than to say I've always been fascinated by shrieking girls.

Shrieking hillbillies? BR-549's "Live at Robert's'' captures the boot kickin' spirit and fun of honky tonkin' along Nashville's Lower Broadway. It ain't rock 'n' roll, but I like it...

1 comment:

  1. I might tinker with the order but can't argue with that Top Five. I've been listening to "Columbus" a lot lately and it still sounds as great as ever.

    ReplyDelete