Friday, October 16, 2009

I went to Bakersfield last night

I miss the old Telecaster. Bought it at Rhythm City in Atlanta in 1981. She was a blonde, circa 1968, with a maple neck and a couple of hot pickups. (Not the one pictured here; mine had a white pickguard.) I never played it that much, didn't even have an amplifier to go with it for a few years. But just to pull her out of the case, plink around and imagine the possibilities...

Some cowboy who needed money had brought her into the store and walked out with a few bucks and a heavy heart. I know the feeling. She was one of the few that ever got away from me, and it still hurts.

I'm thinking about her today because last night I went back and listened to "Streets of Bakersfield.'' You want to hear a Telecaster sing? Go back and listen to Buck Owens and the Buckaroos. Owens and wingman Don Rich defined the Bakersfield sound with those twangy twin Telecasters. Talk about music to your ears.

Dwight Yoakam brought the song back -- brought Buck back with it -- and scored a No. 1 country hit in 1988. Yoakam and Brad Paisley are two notable Tele players who carried the Bakersfield torch after Buck's heyday. Of course Waylon Jennings played one, too, but he never wailed on it. Rock musicians? That's a whole different deal.

This is about the Bakerfield sound, and that brings to mind my personal favorite: Brian Hofeldt of the Derailers. I don't believe I've ever heard or seen anyone play twang Tele like him. Keith Urban -- who has the guitar, the looks AND the girl -- gets all the attention. But I would place Hofeldt in front of him. Listen to the Derailers, especially some of their earlier stuff.

I've never been to Bakersfield, but I went there again last night. I go there every time I hear a Telecaster sing.

1 comment:

  1. Don Rich was the man, tone like an ice pick.

    Steve Cropper played a Tele too and he didn't suck.

    Vidalias played some shows with the Derailers at the Olympics. Funny guys. One day our drummer was late so their guy went on with us and faked his way thru the set.

    ReplyDelete