Saturday, May 9, 2009

It's Conway or the highway

There was a time when Conway Twitty was the cat's ass. You can look it up.

Why I thought of him this morning I can't explain. But don't get the wrong idea. Unlike the women who used to awaken between their bedsheets with the Twitty twitters, I never understood the sex appeal. It must have had something to do with the big head of hair and the material he was working with, like "You've Never Been This Far Before'' -- which believe it or not was close to being risque back in 1973 when it topped the charts. Or "I'd Love to Lay You Down'', another No. 1 in 1980.

It's amazing to note that in the Seventies and Eighties there was not a more successful country artist than C.T. He had 75 Top 10 singles, an incredible 40 of which made it to No. 1. I reckon that's why there's a Twitty City today in Hendersonville, Tenn.

I just liked the way Conway sang 'em. One of my favorites is "(Lying Here With) Linda on My Mind'', and it has nothing to do with a girl back in high school with that name. Nope, it was just the quintessential country song about women and longing and guilt and passion.

Now I'm lying here with Linda on my mind
And next to me my soon to be
The one I left behind
And lord it's killing me to see her crying
She knows I'm lying here beside her
With Linda on my mind

They don't sing 'em like that any more. They don't even write 'em.

1 comment:

  1. Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn = some damn good country songs.

    ReplyDelete