Monday, March 16, 2009

Can't trust this day

Monday often gets a bad rap in songs, perhaps deservingly so. Nobody wants to start a new work week on a Monday (which hasn't been a problem for me now going on nine months). Some people are downright cranky about it.

But I just got around to reading my April copy of Acoustic Guitar, and there's hope -- in the form of the chords, words and picking pattern to Jimmy Buffett's "Come Monday.'' Even this song has a melancholy ring to it, but it's certainly more uplifting than the Mama & Papas' "Monday, Monday.''

Come Monday it'll be alright
Come Monday I'll be holding you tight
I spent four lonely days in a brown LA haze
And I just want you back by my side

I just wish I had that night in Montana to help me get through this one...

1 comment:

  1. True story, from 1974:
    A friend and I were sharing a pizza at Barnaby's in Tallahassee when he pulled out a Billboard chart he had just picked up at a record store.
    Tell me what's No. 34 on the chart and I'll buy your pizza, he said.
    With no hesitation, I blurted out the first song that came to mind: Come Monday by Jimmy Buffett.
    Dead on correct.
    Best pizza I ever had.

    ReplyDelete