Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dropped my notebook, this fell out

Clearing up the Carly Confusion: Only because the Sanctuary referenced it awhile back: Carly Simon says her 1972 hit "You're So Vain" was actually about ... David Geffen. The record label kingpin was not on our multiple choice list, which included Kris Kristofferson, Warren Beatty, Mick Jagger, James Taylor, Hugh Hefner and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Apparently Simon didn't appreciate the fact that Geffen was giving more attention to labelmate Joni Mitchell's albums. Who really cares 38 years later? Simon, who's promoting a new album. ...

Last year's top music money makers, according to billboard. (Tour income is largely responsible):
1. U2, $108 million
2. Bruce Springsteen, $57 million
3. Madonna, $47 million
4. AC/DC, $43 million
5. Britney Spears, $38 million

I just read where the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation has built more than 150 units of affordable housing in the past three years, and the artist is scheduling visits to shelters during his current tour. Which makes me curious to know what other artists -- well beyond the "We Are The World" project -- are doing for charitable causes. ...

The Billboard Top 5 25 years ago today:
1. Carless Whisper, Wham!
2. I Want to Know What Love Is, Foreigner
3. Easy Lover, Philip Bailey
4. Lover Boy, Billy Ocean
5. Method of Modern Love, Hall & Oates

I'm thinking this was about the time I shut off my radio for good. Then I'm reminded that 1985 did have its musical moments, including these stellar albums: Scarecrow by John Mellencamp, Centerfield by John Fogerty, and Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. And you could still get them in vinyl ...

Break out the candles for today's Birthday Band:
Guy Mitchell (1927-99): Singer, "Heartaches by the Number"
Eddie Gray (1948): Guitar, Tommy James & the Shondells
Neal Schon (1954): Guitar, Santana
Adrian Smith (1957): Guitar, Iron Maiden

I'd be stealing a DJ's words if I said the Dave Rawlings Machine's 2009 album A Friend of a Friend "is a flat-out must-own record." So call me a thief...

1 comment: